Wednesday, February 10, 2010

M is for Mischief: An A to Z of Naughty Children, by Linda Ashman & illustrated by Nancy Carpenter


I loved this book! It's hilarious! I remember reading this old fashioned book called Goops: and How to Be Them by Gelett Burgess when I was really little. I pretended I was in a one room schoolhouse, I read the old primer and other "old-looking" books my dad kept in his office, perhaps some I should not have read... Anyway, reading this book by Ashman took my right back to my Goop reading days in the "schoolhouse." The rhyming language, and extraordinary use of vocabulary is reminiscent to that of Burgess, and I LOVE IT.

This book is a collection a rhyming poems about naughty children. Each poem uses as many words in each short poem as possible using the child's name as the foundation. For instance, my favorite is the letter J -
"Joking Jackson
How that joker, Jackson, joshes:
Hiding jacks in Joe's golashes; ..."

Ha! It's so great! Plus, I suppose if you are brave enough to use this in a classroom setting, it could be a book full of mini-lessons on behavior. However, teacher be ware: the author provides a WARNING on the cover: "This book contains obnoxious children. Read at your own risk!"

The illustrations are really neat too, using all kinds of interesting design elements. For instance, there are pen drawings, water color, digital images, photography, and others. Did I say that I love this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment