Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tom, by Tomie de Paola


This book tells the story of a boy, Tommy and his grandfather Tom. Tommy and Tom cause all kinds of mischief, and the reader gets the feeling that perhaps Tom is not the best influence on little Tommy. Tom owns a butcher shop and gives his grandson a two chicken feet and teaches him how to "pull the tendons" to make them move. Tommy precedes to use the chicken feet as weapons of terror as he scares his classmates and teachers.

Of course I loved the book, it was hilarious! I was almost rolling in laughter. Tom reminds me of my own grandpa, always getting me into trouble with his silly tricks and games - for some reason we keep going back for more (Tommy and I do, anyway)...

I can see how kids would really love this story about having fun with grandpa. The content may be a little outdated - corncob pipes, the butcher shop, chopping off chicken heads and feet with a cleaver, coal furnaces - and perhaps an illustration of Tom chopping off chicken heads isn't the most loving of Grandfather images. But nevertheless, it's awesome!

You just don't seem to see as many recently published books as rich as this anymore...but perhaps I'm old fashioned. Have we lowered our standards to Spiderman and Bratz? In my opinion, a little violence in a children's book is WAY better than the dense, commercialized junk that's being mass produced and is filling up libraries everywhere. GO TOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment