Monday, March 22, 2010

Thank You, Mr. Falker, by Patricia Polacco


Oh! I exclaim in delight! This is one of the most touching books I have ever read. People must read this book - ESPECIALLY TEACHERS - it will provide an even greater sense of purpose.

It is refreshing to see that there are children out there who grow up to be adults (like Polacco) that recognize the good teachers out there and how they helped make a REAL difference. This is why we teach, so that we may try to reach out and offer guidance, undivided caring and interest in our students, and the undying vow to educate and therefore enlighten every child. Sounds reminiscent of a utopian vision, but I swear: if every educator lived what they preach we wouldn't have stagnate dead-beat teachers out there who go through year after year after year after year teaching the same stale curriculum to bored, unenlightened students. Each new year should be a new academic adventure for students, we as teachers need to make that happen. I can only hope that someday a child can look back on their experience in my classroom and think, "Wow, now that's a teacher who really made a difference for me," or "She really helped me out during some difficult times." What a gratifying thought for a future educator.

I felt close to Trisha (Patricia Polacco) the young girl in the book who was struggling with academics, especially reading and math, and who often found refuge in her artistic abilities. Trisha thought she was "dumb" and the other kids teased her to the point of self-isolation and withdrawal. The book showed how lonely she felt, being the subject of ridicule and harboring a very dangerous secret: she had never learned to read. . . Until finally after a move to California and a new fifth grade teacher, her learning disability was recognized, dyslexia. Mr. Falker ended the ridicule in his classroom and pointed out the artistic giftedness of Trisha, which did not go unnoticed by her peers.

To think that there was only ONE teacher out there that was able (and willing) to invest enough of themselves to see through Trisha's shy exterior and withdrawn behavior in school to detect a REAL ISSUE saddens me, but gives me hope at the same time. I will be that teacher, and I can only hope that every other teacher in the world can say the same.

We should all be Mr. Falkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment