Sunday, April 11, 2010

Twilight Comes Twice, by Ralph Fletcher & illustrated by Kate Kiesler


I am not certain what the target age group for this picture book, but I feel that it could be appreciated by ALL ages - I definitely appreciate it! What an intimate vision this book creates! Twilight Comes Twice. I'm never up early enough in the morning to experience the morning twilight, but this book makes me feel that I know exactly what it's like. The five senses are utilized to their fullest in this poem, even "Sounds ring out more clearly" in the morning twilight. Fletcher's use of the senses creates strong images and puts the reader at the forefront of the twilight experience.

Something that I found interesting as I read the poem is this: Fletcher skipped the entire day. The activities of the day were of no importance in creating a strong representation of Dusk and Dawn. Often we get so caught up in all of our actions, that we don't remember to stop and consider the very obvious occurrences of everyday life (especially in nature - it seems monotonous or unimportant somehow, and perhaps is overlooked) and the beauty, emotions, an feelings that these everyday occurrences can create. For instance, I can tell you all about the episode I watched on TV last night, but for me to attempt to explain the sunset or sunrise - this is an entirely different thing. I would need to really "think" about it - and that is why SOME poetry is SOOOO valuable (perhaps even more so than other forms of writing, not to be biased or anything) - because the writers of poetry must "think" - and thought is what produces the strongest writing.

To explain these more abstract ideas, one must use their personal experience and all of their senses. This is the case in Fletcher's book. He really captures mood of twilight. The illustrations add a literal interpretation to the poem. They attach a person and a place and a mood and a setting to the words in a way that deepens the poem and add a real-life context! The illustrations are impressionistic, using muted, earthy colors that blur into one another on the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment